среда, 11 июня 2014 г.

The Fame of English Literature : Barnabe Googe

Love
 Hello,dear readers!

Today we'll read the superb poem about love. 
Let's imagin, it was written over 400 years ago!!!

But then people lived and loved   as we do it nowadays, and  they could express their emotions clearly and freely as well.

The author  name is Barnabe Googe or Goche (11 June 1540 – 7 February 1594) (also spelled Barnaby Googe) . He was a poet and translator, one of the earliest English pastoral poets.

So, it's time to read and enjoy the poem!


 

 

 

Out of sight, out of mind

The oft'ner seen, the more I lust,
The more I lust, the more I smart,
The more I smart, the more I trust,
The more I trust, the , heavier heart
The heavy heart breeds mine unrest,
Thy absence therefore I like best.

The rarer seen, the less in mind,
The less in mind, the lesser pain,
The lesser pain, less grief I find,
The lesser grief, the greater gain,
The greater gain, the merrier I,
Therefore I wish thy sight to fly.

The further off, the more I joy,
The more I joy, the happier life,
The happier life, less hurts annoy,
The lesser hurts, pleasure most rife,
Such pleasures rife shall I obtain
When distance doth depart us train. 
 
Vocabulary
Out of sight, out of mind -  Prov. If you do not see someone or something frequently, you will forget about it

 Lust - very strong sexual desire, especially when love is not involved

 heavy heart - Melancholy; depressed; sad. 

When your heart is weighted down by sorrow. Often times a death, or when you are still in love with someone from the past.

breed - to make negative feelings or situation develop 

unrest - worry, trouble 

thy = your (old)

rife - widespread 

doth- does, from Shakespearian English

depart -   leave, go away

Grammar

Revise comparative forms of adjectives :

heavy -heavier,rare - rarer, merry - merrier, great - greater,happy -  happier:

much - more, little-less.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий