Let's continue to study the verb forms : infinitive and gerund. We began to study this grammar rules here lesson#1 (The to infinitive form) , here lesson#2(Gerund ) and here
Today we are going to learn the rules of usage of the bare infinitive form in English'
Hope, you remember, that the "bare " infinitive form is the form without the particle to
open, go, play.
The "bare" infinitive is used
- after modal verbs :can,may,must, should, etc. Learn more about modal verbs here
note! ought is used with to infinitive
You ought to respect our rules!
- after the verbs let, make, see, hear, feel.
I saw her enter the house.
1. the passive forms of these verbs : be seen, be heard, be made - are followed by the to infinitive form:
She was seen to enter the house.
2. verbs see, hear , watch can also be followed by the -ing form
I saw her entering the house.
She was seen entering the house.
- can / could + see/ hear + - ing form
- after would rather and had better
- The verb help can be followed by the to infinitive or the bare infinitive.
If you like the posts in this blog, please, don't forget to press the button G+ in the right upper corner to share the blog!